What Is English Ivy? Is It Toxic For Reptiles?

What Is English Ivy? Is it toxic for reptiles? – Here are a few signs your reptile may be in distress. Respiratory changes, dry heaves, increased salivation, and vomiting are all signs your reptile is in distress. Other symptoms may include lethargy, increased activity, scratching on the face, or diarrhea. And while reptiles do not appear to be harmed by English Ivy, there are signs to look for.

reptiles are fun

What is the English Ivy?

What is English Ivy? is a plant that’s native to Britain and the rest of Europe. Its leaves contain a compound known as sapogenin, which has mucolytic, spasmolytic, and bronchodilatory properties. The sap of the plant also has antibacterial and immune-supporting effects.

English ivy saponins are also effective at fighting bacteria, while they help support the immune system by inhibiting the production of interleukin-6. The sap of the plant causes skin reactions to occur, which are short-lived and tend to worsen with repeated exposure.

The plant’s leaves are waxy and alternate on the stems. Its tenacious aerial rootlets allow it to grow on anything, including other plants. Its glossy leaves can be heart-shaped, arrow-shaped, and even egg-shaped.

The leaves of this plant grow from the base of the plant and are approximately four to eight inches long. Because of its tenacious aerial roots, it can climb virtually anything, including trees, walls, and fences. In fact, it can be so tall, it can enshroud a hundred-foot tree and shade it from sunlight, causing the tree to die.

Is the English Ivy safe for reptiles?

English Ivy is a common house plant that is safe for reptiles, but is it toxic to them? The answer to that question depends on the species. English ivy, sometimes called devil’s vine, is not a good choice for reptile enclosures.

See also  Is Polycrylic Safe for Reptiles: The Truth About This Paint Material

English ivy is safe to be around, but should still be kept out of their enclosures. English ivy can be harmful to reptiles if they eat it, or if it is ingested through the mouth or skin. If you have an English ivy in your home, it is best to place it a little out of reach of your reptile.

Every home is a little different, so be sure to check the English ivy’s location before starting a terrarium. If you’re still worried about your pet’s safety, English ivy is sold as a potted plant and makes a nice decoration in any home. 

Conclusion: English Ivy is toxic for reptiles

If you have a reptile as a pet, be sure not to put English Ivy in the habitat. English Ivy is toxic for reptiles, and can cause serious health problems for them and in some cases, death. The Ivy contains poisonous sap and leaves that the reptile will likely ingest.

The leaves, stems and roots are all toxic and should not be ingested by any pet. The toxin causes gastroenteritis and inflammation in the liver and kidneys. If your pet ingests this plant, call a veterinarian immediately. This plant is especially toxic for tortoises and iguanas, so be sure not to put it in their habitat.

Related Posts